A little of this, and a little of that

Welcome, September! The Labour Day week end is here. Usually this would signal (for me, many moons ago) that the beginning of school was just around the corner. I was one of the few kids who actually really enjoyed school.

I always used to ace classes like English, and I wasn't too shabby at highschool history either. I even took a stab at chemistry. Now, for someone who isn't really a Math kid the fact that I took Chemistry for TWO YEARS (and PASSED) is something I'm kind of proud of. I took Biology in high school, too. And then I took it again in my first year of college - best science course I ever took! I got to dissect mice and frogs, fed the class snake. The only thing that was a real thorn in my side, was a technical paper we had to write. It was then that I realized that I'm not the best at technical writing. It's hard to write within certain and specific parameters. Writing within a broader and more general framework gives me a certain degree of freedom.

Even now, at the age of 30, I can't quite supress the urge to dash out and buy school supplies every year around this time. I've managed to avoid Staples thus far. The WalMart super store put out their Back To School stuff almost a month ago and so far I think I've managed to curb my compulsion rather well. I've only bough two packs of felt tip pens, and one pack of markers. I've been trying to find a good coloring book (the kind that you could find pretty much everywhere when I was a kid) to actually make use of, but they're all dumb. I just want coloring pages. But, I am accepting donations! If you find a real, honest to goodness coloring book (preferably a Disney Princess one, but I will also accept pretty much anything that reminds me of my childhood) then send it to me!

Apparently, my Inner Five Year Old is quite strong.


So, the long week end was actually pretty good! Dev and I took a quick trip to Quebec. There's this town over there that we both really, really love. True, it's French and Dev doesn't speak a single word. I can understand a little so I can make out about half of what someone say's to me.

Anyway, we were just walking up the road from our hotel and heading to The Groove, when we ran in to this trio of people who were speaking English! Internet, I tell you .. it was fate. Plus, it was awesome to meet people who spoke words we could both understand.

We gave this trio a few ideas of where they could go to have a few drinks and a good time, and we went on our way. Now, usually Dev initiates random acts. But, this one was aaaallllll me! We grabbed some cash and headed back to the bar where we told our new friends they'd have a good time. Essentially, the five of us spent all night together! We drank and danced our asses off! Turns out that myself and these two lovely ladies are all Gemini's, and our birthdays are all within a couple weeks of each other. I also learned that my sign, and Dev's (Aries) are pretty much the most compatible signs EVER! Which I never knew before. And it really explains a lot about us, to be honest. Despite the fact that we don't have a lot in common, we get along really well.

We're silly together. We can fight and argue with the best of them, but I think that's because we're both stubborn and passionate about things we believe in, and we push each other to be better. So, I guess it's only natural that we butt heads from time to time.

These people were so amazing. I don't remember the last time I laughed my ass off so much with a bunch of strangers. It was a night full of laughter and random acts of kindness. For example, Dev saved one of the girls from an overzealous dude who kept dancing with her. At the end of the night, we walked about to our hotel and called a cab for them. We took turns buying rounds of drinks. We swapped dancing partners. We shared tidbits of our personal history.

I'm usually a little stiff when we've gone to Rouyn before and gone out. I guess it's because I'm a little awkward about not knowing anybody else there. Now, don't misunderstand me. I love the moments I share with Dev over drinks and dancing, but I can't deny the fact that I am a little on my guard when it's just us. I think that all comes from of wanting for us to have a good night, so I have to overthink the whole thing instead of just letting the good times occur naturally.

Wow. Now there's a bit of self-examination ...

But with these three people, it was like pieces of a puzzle all fit naturally together. It was amazing. The mild hangover yesterday was entirely worth it. And then, the Universe came together again, and the five of us ran smack in to each other at one the small shopping strip malls. We hugged. I love hugs. And the best part, is that the smiles and laughter came as easy between us all sober, as they did when we were all a little drunk.

Then, Dev and I spent, like an hour trying to find this godforsaken Chinese restaurant named Dick Woo. For the first time, I felt the bitter sting of Apple's pure and utter failure in designing the Maps app. God, what a travesty. After three failed destinations, and a quarter tank of gas, we finally gave up trying to find Dick Woo's restaurant we went back to a Chinese buffet that was just a couple of blocks from our hotel.

Then, when we came back home last night, we went on a Community marathon. Season 4 just hit Netflix and it's amazeballs!

"Then you might want to teach you're mouth how to say 'we', 'are' and 'us!" -- Shirley, to Annie.

We ordered in wings, and watched almost the entire season.  There are SO many good episodes! There's the traditional paintball episode, there's a puppet/musical episode, a Freaky Friday tribute, a nod to Die Hard ... amazeballs.

Now, this is about all I have time for today. There a ton of housecleaning  to do, plus I'm SO into my Mortal Instruments series. It's seriously consuming my life!! Plus, I have some writing to catch up on as well. I've done real writing on pen and paper, but it needs to get put into the greater text of one of my writing projects.

Until later, my lovelies!!!

Comments

Popular Posts